HAM Radio (Amateur Radio)

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:10 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 1531
Location: West Side
Yeah international feedback on Baofeng radios makes for some interesting reading .
The killer for me was no local support network.

I like the Look of the Icom IC-706 as a moblie HF rig , the Kenwood TS-50 and Yeasu FT-100D are similar older rigs .
What sort of moblie whip are you running for 80m :shock:
Most of the "High Q" , Multi-band , base coil loaded, HF mobile antennas available are extremely inefficient RF wise and certainly have a "snake oil" element to them .

I have gone with a "portable" buddiepole system which allows me to set up near full size antennas with minimal coil loading .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:21 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka
User avatar


Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 377
Location: Featherston
Yup the 80m whip is a challenge :)
Probably run a long wire like a mountain radio and set it up at nights, still should get get plenty of action on 40 and 20 tho, simpler to set up.

We has a TS50 in our club rooms in Cambridge many years ago, was a great little unit, recommended.

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 am 
Offline
Winch master

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 am
Posts: 13
I do like the 706. We have one in the AREC Truck. As for 80m whips we have an Icom F7000 that we have a long wire for but can and do tune it on the ZC-1 whip on the back of the truck.

Here's a photo of the old girl, a 1974 International D1310, still on it's original tyres! (And yes it is for sale!)

Image

My only issue with dual band (and this possibly is coming more from an AREC perspective than a straight out ham one) is that you lose one rig, you lose all comms. With a dedicated VHF & UHF you lose one, due to a fault, drowning, busted aerial, bullet hole etc you still have some form of radio. Same for having a 70cm rig that you can have PRS in, while it's handy and my Baofeng does have some programmed, I like having seperate radios to allow you to monitor 70cm as well. Obviously I feel a bit different about HF gear.

As for individual preference, I basically got the Baofeng cos I'm a poorly paid apprentice (damn training wage!) and it looked capable enough . Would I buy another if this one got destroyed? Absolutely. Would I love an Icom H/T with D-Star? Same answer!

Catalyst, awesome call!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:34 pm
Posts: 593
man that international is cool. any more pics?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:32 am 
Offline
Ms Daisy
User avatar


Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 4168
Location: The Mainland
Wondered if any of you fellas would be interested in this ICOM 144MHz model IC-25a unit in good working order before it goes on TradeMe. Transmitting from 1W up to 25W.

Image
Image
Image

Just PM me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:00 pm
Posts: 1531
Location: West Side
falcon5nz wrote:
My only issue with dual band (and this possibly is coming more from an AREC perspective than a straight out ham one) is that you lose one rig, you lose all comms. With a dedicated VHF & UHF you lose one, due to a fault, drowning, busted aerial, bullet hole etc you still have some form of radio. Same for having a 70cm rig that you can have PRS in, while it's handy and my Baofeng does have some programmed, I like having seperate radios to allow you to monitor 70cm as well. Obviously I feel a bit different about HF gear.


I agree with you about having some redundancy . I would love to have a seperate rig for every band , but the practicality in a medium size 4wd is limited .
Image
As you can see , 40ch PRS / 26Mhz AM CB / Dual Band 144/440 HAM . Wouldn't really want to deal with any more Mic's , have a hard enough time getting the right one as it is .
The plan is to put the HF in the back , as it will be mainly used for Base camp antenna setups .

Love the international! Any more info , very interested in its electrical / Charging setup .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:35 am 
Offline
Winch master

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 am
Posts: 13
I have PRS mounted where my ash tray was, and a UBCT-8 scanner DIN mounted under the head unit. I have a VHF Tait 2020 about to arrive back from repair as well as a Realistic TRC-453 CB that I need to get back and install. And a 706 with remote head kit might be good for you. At the Jock White and similar we have put the 706 in the cab and used it to get some separation.
The truck has 2 plugs on it 240VAC and 12VDC. It is plugged into 12v in the shed at all times. There is a manual battery isolator that links batteries when driving or on charge,and seperates them so the starting batter isn't discharged while operating. The 249 VAC connection runs all the lghts power points and a PSU to charge batteries in the field. We also have an inverter for 240 stuff. In the back cabin we have 2 bunks, sink, gas cooker. Radio-wise, all Icom for some reason, no ones sure how it happened it just did. R7000 Receiver, Commercial VHF, UHF (IC-410) & HF (F7000), IC 2820 D-Star dual band, 2 Ham VHF, 706 HF & airband.

No other pictures at the moment but I'll try and get some. Anything in particular?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 1315
Location: Whangarei or there abouts!!
falcon5nz wrote:
I have PRS mounted where my ash tray was, and a UBCT-8 scanner DIN mounted under the head unit. I have a VHF Tait 2020 about to arrive back from repair as well as a Realistic TRC-453 CB that I need to get back and install. And a 706 with remote head kit might be good for you. At the Jock White and similar we have put the 706 in the cab and used it to get some separation.
The truck has 2 plugs on it 240VAC and 12VDC. It is plugged into 12v in the shed at all times. There is a manual battery isolator that links batteries when driving or on charge,and seperates them so the starting batter isn't discharged while operating. The 249 VAC connection runs all the lghts power points and a PSU to charge batteries in the field. We also have an inverter for 240 stuff. In the back cabin we have 2 bunks, sink, gas cooker. Radio-wise, all Icom for some reason, no ones sure how it happened it just did. R7000 Receiver, Commercial VHF, UHF (IC-410) & HF (F7000), IC 2820 D-Star dual band, 2 Ham VHF, 706 HF & airband.

No other pictures at the moment but I'll try and get some. Anything in particular?


Sale price?? :shock: :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 pm 
Offline
Bush Crasher

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 am
Posts: 97
Location: Wellington
Looks like there's a few nice mobile shacks out there. I've had set-ups with a few different rigs going and it's all good when you're monitoring all your favorite frequencies and repeaters but once you start trying to use them you quickly become limited by the hand to ear to microphone ratio...
I think I'd limit myself to just two mics these days - I think that's about as many conversations as my befuddled brain could handle at once...
Doing AREC work's a different story of course and in those circumstances I'd agree with having as many different rigs and antennas and power options as you can - redundancy, redundancy, redundancy...
I wasn't really thinking about HF for the wagon but if a few other people are running HF mobile I might look at it. Best thing about running an HF rig mobile in a 4WD??? Having a good excuse to need to get to the highest terrain feature with the best view possible ;-) ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:26 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka

Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2002 7:00 pm
Posts: 861
Location: Wellington
Been looking at a radio that has recieve and transmit in the 400-500mhz (i think) covers the prs range . And is fairly powerful. Ie up to 45 watt. How legal is this one??? Has 10w 25w and 45w transmit levels.
Looked at the radio communication site and confused the shit out of myself. What are the rule and or penalties if one were to purchase and ust it?
Pedro


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:18 am 
Offline
Gadget Guy
User avatar


Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Upper Hutt
You must have the appropriate licence to operate, depending which frequencies you use. If your equipment is only capable of the PRS freqs and the power output is below 9.2 watts then you do not need a licence.

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensees/types-of-licence/general-user-licences/citizen-band-radio

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensees/types-of-licence/general-user-licences/amateur-radio-operators

_________________
Mike
Mitsi L200 V6 Doublecab.
31" Wrangler MTR / ATSA


If guns kill people, then,
Spoons make people fat,
Pencils mis-spell words,
and Cars make people drive drunk.


021 666812


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:24 am
Posts: 942
Location: Kirwee
What's on 27 MHz

I have a 26/27 gme in my truck and on 27mhz I pick up something on Chanel 11but can't figure out what it is


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 pm 
Offline
Bush Crasher

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 am
Posts: 97
Location: Wellington
Channel 11 on 27Mhz CB is the truckies CB channel in NZ. Back in the day it was very busy and is still worth a listen if you're heading on up the highway. Probably the only AM CB channel still in regular use.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:31 pm 
Offline
Bush Crasher

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 am
Posts: 97
Location: Wellington
Or am I mixing it up with Aus CB frequency? Been so long I can't remember if 27's us or Aus...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 pm 
Offline
Hard Yaka

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:24 am
Posts: 942
Location: Kirwee
Gyxx wrote:
Channel 11 on 27Mhz CB is the truckies CB channel in NZ. Back in the day it was very busy and is still worth a listen if you're heading on up the highway. Probably the only AM CB channel still in regular use.

26mhz channel 11 is trickies


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bounty2001, kbushnz and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Copyright © 2009 OffroadExpress. Site design and build by EzySolutions Ltd, www.ezysolutions.co.nz