landcruiser diff lock

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: landcruiser diff lock
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:04 pm 
Hard Yaka

i have just put front and rear diffs from a hj61 landcruiser into my hj60. Front diff is locking but rear is not thought the cable needed adjusted but when i tried to do this the adjuster broke. So i got under the truck and used vice grips to turn the lever it moves freely but the diff still only turns one wheel. What do i need to chec ??

I paid $1000 for the hj61 and only bought it for the diff locks and just want to get them working. Allso im wanting to put the turbo from the 12ht onto my 2h motor can this be done with out to much trouble?? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:53 am 
Hard Yaka

someone must know a thing or two about these things i cant be the only one thats come across this problem :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:05 am 
Hard Yaka

i think you will need to pull the heads out and clamp it in the bench vice turning the pinion flange whilst trying to engage the locker lever you will be able to see whats going on . sounds to me like its seized and will need a little TLC to get it moving again

this is what i would do anyway

sounds like it needs to come out anyway as the arm is broken and needs attention

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:08 am 
Hard Yaka

hay have you got the cable lockers if im correct the cable lockers have a longer long side shaft then standard lsd and open diffs i wonder if this is your problem when the diff is engaged it is sliding off the spline justr a thought

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:20 am 
Hard Yaka

Yep cable lockers factory ones.Thanks looks like i will pull the diff head out then. It all looks to be moving on the out side of the diff ok/ as in the cable and arm thing that goes into the diff head

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:23 am 
Hard Yaka

I went to a couple of 4x4 wreckers today but they had no idea and couldnt help me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:28 am 
Jeep Jeep

if you take the plate that has the engagement sensor on it you should be able to see if the sliding dog is moving or not .it has 3 8mm bolts on it and is on the side by the engagement lever .with it open try operating it and see if its moving

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:35 am 
Hard Yaka

ok thanks will try that befor removing diff head. the hj61 that i wrecked came with a work shop manaul but does not mention the diff locks just how to remove and repair the diffs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:09 am 
Hard Yaka

Here is a pic of the cable locker actuator system.
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1985_T ... 101.8.html

Calvin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:01 am 
Jeep Jeep

what can happen is if someone has tried to engage the locker while only one wheel has been spinning it can shear off the five teeth that the locking dog slots into and results in a locker that doesn,t lock .then it becomes an expensive shelf ornament

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:21 am 
Hard Yaka

One of the guys in the club said he has snapped the bolt that holds the shift fork on the shaft so it stays still but the external bits move, this can be done by forcing the lock leaver, but you will be able to see if this is happening by removing the engagement sensor out and watch while you try to lock it.
Good luck
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:51 am 
Hard Yaka

thanks for all your help i will take a look 2mrw after work i hope its not gana be a expensive fix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:10 am 
Hard Yaka

Back to your original thought of swapping turbo's over.
If the 12HT is still a goer then swapping the whole engine would be a better option. I imagine it's stuffed though. The CT26 turbo should fit onto the 2H engine ok. Just a couple of oil lines to run.

Removing the diff head can be fun. Make sure the diff is in the lock position when trying to remove it or it wont come out. Although this may not help if it's collapsed inside.

What part of the country are you in?

Jungle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 am 
Hard Yaka

yea the 12ht motor is stuffed i was thinking of doing it up but its all in boxes at the moment and the guy that had it well um he didnt realy have any idea. So i bet theres bit missing anyway but i have the turbo and all the manifolds for it and the front pipe.

Im down in Dunedin and its raning so wont be taking a look at the diff 2nite as it wont fit in my garage :(

I hope the diff is is in good nic there are receipts for front and rear diffs and allso gear box amoung other things over $11,000 worth Pitty they F**KED the rest of it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:37 am 
Hard Yaka

i have removed the sensor plate and the rod that goes into the diff head is moving. So when its diff lock arm is in the diff still does not lock up so where do i go from here take the diff head out and see whats wrong i havnt mucked around with diffs befor so im a little green